How to Get Care When You Are Away From Home

Care outside Ohio and in the United States

In some cases, AmeriHealth Caritas Ohio may pay for health care services you get from a provider located along the Ohio border or in another state. Your primary care provider (PCP) and AmeriHealth Caritas Ohio can give you more information about which providers and services are covered outside of Ohio by your health plan, and how you can get them if needed.

When visiting a provider outside of Ohio, you will need prior authorization.

You do not need prior authorization for these services:

  • Emergency services
  • 48-Hour observations (notification is required for maternity observation)
  • Family planning services
  • Medicare services from a Medicare enrolled provider – when the Member has Medicare as his/her primary insurance coverage
  • Dialysis centers
  • Post stabilization services
  • Covered services provided by an Indian Health Care Provider (IHCP) for members eligible for tribal services

If you have any questions about getting care outside of Ohio or the United States, talk with your PCP or call Member Services at 1-833-764-7700 (TTY 1-833-889-6446).  Remember, Member Services is here to help you 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

24/7 Health Advice Line

You can also always contact the 24/7 Health Advice Line if you cannot reach your provider or are away from home. The 24/7 Health Advice Line is there for you toll-free at 1-833-625-6446 (TTY 1-833-889-6446).

When you call the toll-free 24/7 Health Advice Line, the nurse will:

  • Ask you questions about your health.
  • Give you information on how to care for yourself at home, when appropriate.
  • Give you information to help you decide what other care you need.

Please remember the 24/7 Health Advice Line does not take the place of your PCP. Always follow up with your PCP if you have questions about your health care.

Services are not covered outside of the continental United States and its territories.