Staying Healthy After Your Hospital Stay
Getting well after your hospital stay is important. Sometimes, people end up back in the hospital soon after they leave. This is called a readmission. This can happen for a lot of reasons. By taking some simple steps, you may be able to stay healthy and out of the hospital.
If you have recently been discharged from the hospital and meet the criteria, you can receive up to two meals per day, for up to seven days, once per year, at no cost.
Before you leave the hospital
Be ready before you leave the hospital. This may help you get better faster. Follow these easy tips:
- Tell your nurse where you plan to go after you leave the hospital.
- Make sure you understand your discharge instructions. Take them with you when you leave the hospital.
- Know who to call if you have questions.
- Get a list of the medicines you will need to take at home.
- Make sure you have a prescription for each medicine you need to take.You will need to give this to the pharmacist.
Just out of the hospital?
Here's what you should do next:
- See your primary care provider (PCP) or behavioral health provider within seven days.Write down your questions for the PCP before you go. Take your questions and discharge papers to your appointment.
- If you have a Care Manager, check in with them often.Your Care Manager will help you after you leave the hospital.
- Follow the directions for taking your medicine.
- Ask your pharmacist any questions you have about your medicines.
- Stick to your recovery plan.
AmeriHealth Caritas Ohio is here to help you heal
We know that healing is not always easy. You are not alone as you recover. We are here to help you get well and stay healthy. If you have any questions or need help, give us a call.
- 24/7 Health Advice Line: 1-833-625-6446 (TTY 1-833-889-6446)
If you have questions about your health but can't reach your PCP, our nurses are ready to help. The Health Advice Line is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Rapid Response and Outreach Team (RROT): 1-833-464-7768 (TTY 1- 833-889-6446).
The RROT can help you set up appointments.We can also connect you with a Care Manager.
- AmeriHealth Caritas Ohio Member Services: 1-833-764-7700 (TTY 1-833-889-6446).
Remember to get lots of rest while you heal. Every day matters during recovery.